SHARE 1 COMMENTMORE

By Keith Elderidge

TACOMA, Wash. (KOMO/CNN) - A student in Washington state says she had to quit school because she didn't feel safe there.

She has a peanut allergy that could kill her in seconds.

"So if I was having an anaphylactic reaction my throat will start to close up and I'll stop being able to breathe. I'll start choking," said Kelsey Hough.

Kelsey Hough, 26, developed a life threatening allergy to peanuts just five years ago and needs a life saving injection within seconds.

So far, that emergency action has not been needed at the UW Tacoma campus in her first year. She says signs outside her classrooms provided by the school seemed to protect her. But last week those signs were taken down and she was no longer under the guidance of the disabilities guidance office.

"I felt like I'd just been kicked out of school. I knew that I wouldn't be safe," she said.

Innocent looking snack bars can be deadly weapons around Hough. So why did the university get rid of those signs? The chancellor says it has nothing to do with trying to get rid of her.

"Putting up signs on classrooms where she is going to be saying "Peanut Free" is unenforceable," said Debra Fiedman, chancellor of University of Washington-Tacoma.

Friedman said the UW campus has an open food policy. Okay to eat indoors, okay to eat in the library and classrooms, and there's always a chance peanuts will be present.

Hough says even a whiff of peanuts could kill her.

"I cannot ensure her safety. Her allergy is too severe and it's life threatening," said Friedman.

Instead of peanut free zone signs, the university put up Hough's letter telling students how serious her allergy is.

"They didn't ask me to leave, but they sure didn't make it possible for me to stay," said Hough.

Friedman says Hough is welcome to return, but Hough says she has lost trust in the institution.

SHARE 1 COMMENTMORE