Ste. Genevieve County, MO (KSDK) -

Four members of a Hillsboro family were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a problem apparently caused by the generator in their camper.

It happened Saturday at Hawn State Park near Ste. Genevieve.

Glenn Orton, Jr., said his son, 5-year-old Sullivan, would remain hospitalized Saturday night. Glenn and his wife, Lynn, and their infant son, Augustus, were treated and released.

Glenn said early Saturday, he and his wife noticed something was wrong.

"When I walked in the camper my oldest son was screaming, upset, and my youngest boy was basically lying next to my wife. And he was screaming too. When my wife went to pick up my son to put him in the upper bunk, she felt dizzy and said, 'I don't feel so good.' So I said why don't you go outside and get some fresh air. When she came back she said, 'I think there's something going on with this camper,'" he said.

She was apparently right.

This happened after Glenn turned on the generator so they could use the coffee maker. He believes he knows what the problem is.

"I have a switch inside. Apparently the exhaust exits here," he said, as he showed the compartment on the exterior of the camper where the generator is located. "And there must be a leak over there by the head. The pipe comes out the front here. I probably might have gotten some exhaust in the camper that way, and through the front of the compartment, where there may be a leak."

Glenn said everybody is going to survive.

"My 5-year-old was almost convulsing and shaking really bad. So they're going to keep him overnight."

Glenn said Sullivan's carbon monoxide levels have dropped.

Glenn said the camper contains a carbon monoxide detector. What it did not contain are working batteries.

"I have two batteries," he said. "First one went dead, then the second one went dead."

Glenn said he is glad everybody is going to be alright.

Read or Share this story: