ST. PETERS, Mo. (KSDK) - A St. Peters, Mo. home was damaged during an explosion Thursday afternoon because of inadequate ventilation during a floor refinishing project.

Assistant Fire Chief Scott Freitag with the Cottleville Fire Protection District says when crews responded to the home on Harvest Point Court they discovered a contractor was refinishing the concrete floor without adequate ventilation. He says the furnace was secured, but the hot water heater was forgotten. When it kicked on it ignited the flames, caused a flash fire, and then an explosion.

The home sustained structural damage and is not inhabitable. The left wall of the home was blown out approximately 18 inches, the roof on the porch was blown off the columns before landing back on top of them, and the garage door was blown out.

No one was injured.