SHARECOMMENTMORE

Florida prosecutors said Wednesday that they would not file domestic violence charges against George Zimmerman after his girlfriend told police he had pointed a shotgun at her three weeks ago.

The move comes two days after Zimmerman submitted an affidavit from Samantha Scheibestating she did not want "my boyfriend" charged with aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief. She said investigators had misinterpreted her statements about the Nov. 18 incident at the home in Apopka, Seminole County, that she had been sharing with Zimmerman.

"I want to be with George," the 27-year-old Scheibe said in the affidavit she signed Friday.

Scheibe called 911 to report that he had pointed a shotgun at her, smashed a glass-top coffee table, pushed her outside and locked himself inside after she told him to move out. A search warrant revealed that Zimmerman had five guns and more than 100 rounds of ammunition when deputies arrested him.

A judge freed Zimmerman was $9,000 bail the day after but barred him from having guns or leaving the state.

Seminole County Judge Fred Schott raised the standard $5,000 bail for the charges because of a new claim by Scheibe that Zimmerman had recently tried to choke her. The state's attorney had requested $50,000.

In her affidavit, however, Scheibe stated, "George never pointed a gun at or toward my face in a threatening manner." She said she signed the declaration "without any intimidation, coercion or undue influences."

Prosecutors could have proceeded with the case despite Scheibe's change of heart, but State Attorney Phil Archer said "there is no reasonable likelihood of successful prosecution" without her cooperation or corroborating witnesses and evidence.

Scheibe's

Zimmerman, 30, has had several brushes with the law since being acquitted of murder in July of killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, which he called self-defense.

SHARECOMMENTMORE