(NBC News) - There is a lot of interesting stuff around the house this time of year.
What is considered a treat to some of your guests may be very dangerous to the animals who share your home, just ask the companies who sell health insurance for pets.
"They say that they see a two hundred eighty five percent spike in the number of calls and claims related to chocolate ingestion in that week around Christmas and new years," said CNBC's Kelli Grant.
And it's not just candy but plants to table scraps, and decorations on presents.
Professionals recommend that you avoid the internet for information if you have a concern, and consult with your vet or the ASPCA's twenty-four-seven poison control center.
New, shiny decorations hanging from a new place to investigate can quickly become a dangerous object, and very costly.