ST. LOUIS (KSDK) – Firefighters say they struggled to evacuate a burning building Sunday night because the 20 occupants all spoke different languages.

The fire broke out at around 7 p.m. in a two-story, four-family flat in the 3600 block of Phillips Place – near the intersection of Grand and Chippewa.

Twenty people lived inside the building, and they were trying to go back in to save their belongings.

Authorities say the blaze began on the back porch, but they aren't sure what caused it.

The home sustained smoke damage, but residents will be able to move back in.

Read or Share this story: