(KSDK) - On average, one in five adults in America will experience a mental health disorder in any given year – and nearly half will experience a mental health disorder in their lifetime.
Experts say you'd be hard pressed to find a family in the United States that hasn't had at least one person who struggled with mental illness.
But even in 2014, an old-fashioned stigma about a wide range of medical conditions like depression, anxiety, and eating disorders still persists.
On Friday, SSM Healthcare in St. Louis aims to do something to change that.
Friday is "Kick the Stigma" day. A day when people are encouraged to wear green (lime green, preferably) to show solidarity with the millions of people suffering from diseases that all too often do not get the same funding and recognition as cancer and heart disease.
Members from the SSM Behavioral Health Services team will be available at the St. Louis hospitals to deliver green popcorn and help raise awareness through education for mental illness.
The Chicago Bears' Brandon Marshall happily paid a hefty fine to the NFL for wearing lime green cleats on the field last season. Marshall, who lives with a diagnosed personality disorder, paid $10,500 to the league and matched that amount to his foundation, which raises mental health awareness.
St. Mary's Health Center in Richmond Heights is hosting a fun event between 11 am and noon on Friday. Here's a full list of the events being sponsored by SSM Health Care today.
Friday Hospital Events are scheduled for:
· 11 a.m. – noon: St. Mary's Health Center – Richmond Heights, MO and St. Clare Health Center, Fenton, MO
· 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: St. Joseph Health Center – Wentzville, MO
· 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: St. Joseph Health Center- St. Charles, MO
· 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.: DePaul Health Center – Bridgeton, MO and St. Joseph Hospital West – Lake St. Louis, MO
· 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center, St. Louis, MO