10 14 LINKEDIN 5 COMMENTMORE

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - A Cardinals fan faces serious charges after posting threatening tweets about the Boston Red Sox prior to World Series games at Busch Stadium, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said.

According to the investigators, 30-year-old Robert Metzinger started making threatening tweets on October 21 about the Cardinals' home stand against the Red Sox. Metzinger's tweets referenced the Boston Marathon bombing from April 15, 2013, and included possible use of a pressure cooker, the same device used in the bombing.

In one tweet, Metzinger made an implied threat about using such a device in Busch Stadium during a game, police said.

In a statement released Wednesday, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said fans and visitors to Busch Stadium were not in danger at any point in the investigation.

"When we learned of the threats on social media, we took immediate action to take the suspect into custody," Dotson said.

Metzinger's tweets were eventually removed, but not before other Twitter users were able to make screen grabs.

Robert Metzinger was charged earlier this week with making a terrorist threat with criminal negligence. He has since deleted his Twitter account.

Metzinger's employer, Group360 Worldwide, said it had terminated his employment after the tweets first surfaced.

"We deeply regret these statements were made and the impact they have on the public, particularly the fine people of Boston," the company said in a statement. "This matter is now properly before the courts and our criminal justice system."

10 14 LINKEDIN 5 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.ksdk.com/1bDHcdR