DENVER – Thirteen juveniles were taken to the hospital after they complained that they felt ill after swallowing pool water while swimming at a local hotel, according to the Denver Fire Department.
Denver firefighters responded to the Homewood Suites at 4210 Airport Way at around 8 p.m. Sunday.
Several of the kids, both boys and girls between the ages of 6 to17 years old, complained they had burning eyes and an itchy throat. They were taken to Denver Health and Children's Hospital to get checked out.
The kids were released an hour later and are doing fine. They were back at the hotel Monday. The kids belong to a Young Marines group visiting from Delaware.
The hotel pool was closed Monday while crews and the Denver health Department investigated. The health department says the chlorine level in the pool was a little too low, but they're not sure if that's what made the kids sick.
Health officials will interview the kids to see if there was something other than the pool involved in making them sick. Other people in the pool were not affected.
The general manager of the hotel says they've never had any issues like this.