ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - With the forecast calling for widespread snowfall and ice accumulation for much of the state on Thursday and Friday, the Missouri Department of Transportation is reminding commuters ahead of time to drive safe in winter weather.
Anticipating motorists' skills in with driving in snow may be rusty, MoDOT offers the following tips when driving in inclement weather this winter:
• Slow down.
• Steer and brake gently.
• Accelerate slowly at intersections.
• Allow extra space between your vehicle and the one ahead of you.
• Stay back 100 feet from snow plows that may be spreading salt.
• Avoid passing snow plows, even when on a multi-lane road.
• Be aware that bridges and overpasses generally experience freezing conditions first.
Even a light snowfall or precipitation can cause roads to become slick. MoDOT is preparing to plow and treat interstates and state routes as needed.
MoDOTprovides a 24-hour road conditions hotline via its customer service center. Commuters can speak to a live service representative at 888-ASK-MODOT.