Arnold, MO (KSDK) - An emotional evening for a family in Arnold, after a huge fire ripped through their home. That multi-story home has a connection to a well-known local business.
The owners of this home, Jeff and Shannon Keller also own Fortel's Pizza Den.
Keller says she wasn't at home at the time of the fire, but her two kids were.
She saw the smoke billowing as she rushed home after getting a call from her son that their house was on fire. She pulled up to see her house in fully engulfed.
"Everything was gone, I knew then that everything was gone," Keller said.
Her two kids -- ages 11 and 12 -- were at home at the time of the fire.
It took them several minutes to figure out where that smell was coming from.
"We thought somebody was barbequing, but it kept getting stronger and stronger, and we didn't know that it was our house that was on fire," says 11-year-old Lexie Keller.
The kids found the fire in a corner of the garage!
"The fire just shot out and it was maybe two and a half feet away from me," Lexie said.
They rushed to their aunt Vicki Malone 's house just two doors down - called 911 and realized the last member of the Keller family was still inside! Harley the Rotweiller.
So Malone went in found the dog and carried him out.
She then went back to the house to try to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.
"As I was trying to put it out, something exploded in the garage and black smoke just came out in my face and I decided this was not safe," Vicki Malone said.
The family says the house was fully engulfed in just ten minutes, right when Keller arrived home to learn her sister-in-law had tried to save the home.
"Thank you, thank you," Keller said.
She says she's so proud of her kids who did exactly what they were supposed to and their story should be a reminder to talk to your kids about fire safety.
No other homes were damaged and no injuries were reported.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.