13 LINKEDIN 2 COMMENTMORE

St. Charles, Mo - A man has died from injuries he sustained after picking up a firework that exploded in his hand.

Mike Keen, 51 years-old, passed away Monday at Barnes Jewish hospital where he had been since the July 5th incident.

Keen was in his backyard using a weed eater, when he hit what he believed to be a spent firework shell.

It exploded when he picked it up, causing internal bleeding and the loss of three fingers.

He was taken to a nearby hospital and later flown to Barnes Jewish hospital.

Family members say Mike may be gone but they still don't know how it happened.

"He always took care of me, always. I just lost my better half, the world don't even know what I lost," says younger brother Tony Keen.

Tony says he was doing okay in the hospital, but suddenly took a turn for the worse Monday.

"You never think it's going to happen to your family or one of your loved ones," he says.

He and his family want more answers from police.

"Rita, his wife said, they didn't have no money for fireworks so it was not a self-inflicted wound, it was not," Tony says.

St. Charles Police say they taken the investigation as far as they can and they don't believe there was any foul play.

While the family waits for answers they will remember their loved one this weekend...at Charlie's Bar and Grill with a poker run and pig roast.

"We are going to celebrate his life, and we are going to take care of business and we are going to take care of his wife and his three kids he left behind," he says.

The fundraiser at Charlie's begins Saturday morning at 8am with a breakfast, a poker run at 10am, and food and entertainment at 2pm.

Charlies is located at 2198 1st Capitol Drive, St. Charles, MO

Sunday's car wash fundraiser is at Huck's in St. Peters. Located at 699 Salt Lick Road. The fundraiser begins at 10am.

You can also make a donation.

13 LINKEDIN 2 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.ksdk.com/1n56iGP