Like this topic? You may also like these photo galleries:
As USA and Russia duked it out in a 3-2 shootout win Saturday, one name kept popping up on repeat. T.J. Oshie was on the tip of everyone's tongues, which makes sense considering the American took six of the USA's eight shots, including the winner.
"I've seen him do 1,000 times in practice, that little move he does," said USA and St. Louis Blues teammate David Backes. "It kind of makes me chuckle when I see it."
Oshie was a favorite of U.S. coaches, who made it clear since August the St. Louis Blues forward was on their list, due to his dominant shootout skill and solid ability on the penalty kill.
"They think the intangibles put him above the other guys," Team USA general manager David Poile said. "The one thing they are asking for is Oshie."
International rules allow a player to go multiple times in the shootout, and the U.S. took full advantage of Oshie's ability against Russia.
In an interview with NBC after the game, Oshie said he wasn't surprised they kept calling his number.
"After the first couple I had a feeling I'd be in it until the end," he said. "Sure enough, [coach Dan Bylsma] called my number again, and I did what I could."
What else should you know about everyone's new favorite hockey player?
1. He was born in Everett, Wash., on December 23, 1986.
2. He played at North Dakota during the controversy over the school's Fighting Sioux nickname.
Which is interesting because Oshie is part Chippewa.
3. Oshie signed with the St. Louis Blues in 2008.
He decided to skip his senior year at the University of North Dakota.
4. He made his first senior national team appearance in 2009.
In 2010, he scored 4 goals and 2 assists in six games at the IIHF World Championship.
5. The rock band The Bouncing Souls name checked Oshie in their 2010 song "Badass."
6. He scored the 2009 NHL Goal of the Year
7. He does not have endless moves
"I kept looking back seeing if anyone was going to go," Oshie told NBC after the shootout. "I told some of the boys on the last couple, 'I'm running out of moves here.'"
8. He really gets Christmas
9. He has his own Olympics T-shirt.
10. He is not a Mario Kart character
But could be.