KSDK - NewsChannel 5 is streaming tonight's match-up between the No. 10 Billikens and George Washington. Click here at 6:55 p.m. to STREAM today's game
SETTING THE SCENE
No. 10 Saint Louis (24-2, 11-0 Atlantic 10), a winner of 18 in a row, hosts George Washington Saturday night at a sold-out Chaifetz Arena. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. It is the annual Men's Basketball Alumni Night, where former players in attendance will be introduced at halftime.
• Saint Louis, one of seven programs nationally with two or fewer losses, is No. 10 in the AP Top 25 and the USA Today coaches' polls. It is the first time since the 1964-65 season the Billikens have cracked the top 10. SLU has been ranked for six straight weeks.
• The Billikens are 24-2 for the first time in school history. SLU's 11-0 start in A-10 play matches the best start in program history in league play.
• SLU has won 18 games in a row, a school record. It is tied for the third-longest active winning streak in the country.
• The Billikens have posted an 86-18 record in six years at Chaifetz Arena. They are 45-4 on their home floor the last three years. A Chaifetz Arena record 10,639 fans were on hand to witness the Billikens defeat VCU on Feb. 15.
• The Billikens are coming off an 89-85 overtime victory against George Mason Wednesday. Senior guard Jordair Jett scored all but one of his team-high 25 points in the second half and overtime. SLU's five senior starters all scored in double figures.
• Five Billikens average 8.3 ppg or more. Senior forward Dwayne Evans (14.7 ppg), senior guard Jordair Jett (13.7 ppg) and senior forward Rob Loe (10.1 ppg) score in double figures. Senior guard Mike McCall Jr. contributes 9.3 ppg, and sophomore guard Austin McBroom averages 8.3 ppg.
• Senior guard Jordair Jett is second in the A-10 in scoring in league play, averaging 18.1 ppg. Jett is second in the league with 5.0 assists per game.
• Saint Louis is one of five schools that feature a trio of 1,000-point scorers (Dwayne Evans, Mike McCall Jr., Jordair Jett). The others are Manhattan, USC Upstate, William & Mary and VCU.
• The Billikens lead the A-10 and are ninth nationally in scoring defense, yielding 59.9 ppg. SLU is first in the A-10 in field goal percentage defense (.394) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.267, second nationally). Through games of Wednesday, Feb. 19, SLU is second in KenPom.com's adjusted defensive efficiency.
• The win Wednesday at George Mason was the 90th in the careers of SLU's five seniors (Jake Barnett, Dwayne Evans, Jordair Jett, Rob Loe, Mike McCall Jr.), making them the winningest class in school history.
• The all-time winningest player in school history is Kwamain Mitchell. He was a part of 95 victories in his career from 2008-09 to 2009-10, and 2011-12 to 2012-13.
• Here are other notable classes and their total victories:
> 2010-11 to present: 90 (Barnett, Evans, Jett, Loe, McCall Jr.)
> 2009-10 to 2012-13: 89 (Cody Ellis, Cory Remekun
> 1986-87 to 1989-90: 87 (Anthony Bonner)
> 1985-86 to 1988-89: 84 (Roland Gray, Monroe Douglass)
> 1987-88 to 1990-91: 81 (John Duff, Jeff Luechtefeld)
> 2008-09 to 2011-12: 79 (Brian Conklin, Kyle Cassity, Femi John)
• The Billikens are on an 18-game winning streak, the longest streak in school history and tied for the third longest in the country.
• The previous SLU record was 14, accomplished in the 1993-94 and 1958-59 seasons. The Billikens won 16 games in a row spanning two seasons – the NIT championship year in 1947-48 and 1948-49.
• Here are a few notes regarding the streak:
> The Billikens have won by an average of 11.1 ppg.
> Leading scorers are: Jordair Jett (15.1 ppg), Dwayne Evans (14.7 ppg) and Rob Loe (10.4 ppg).
> The Billikens trailed at halftime three times (at Vanderbilt, at Duquesne, at George Mason) and were tied at halftime once (at La Salle).
> SLU led wire-to-wire in four games.
> SLU's largest deficit encountered was eight (at Vanderbilt, 1st half; at Duquesne, 1st half).
• Longest active winning streaks in the NCAA:
Wichita State-W28-Saturday, Feb. 22 vs. Drake
Stephen F. Austin-W21-Saturday, Feb. 22 vs. Northwestern State
Saint Louis-W18-Saturday, Feb. 22 vs. GW
Florida-W17-Saturday, Feb. 22 at Ole Miss
BILLIKENS IN TOP 25
• Saint Louis rose to No. 10 in the AP Top 25, the first time the Billikens have cracked the top 10 since the 1964-65 campaign. It is the sixth week in a row SLU has been ranked.
• Last season, the Billikens were ranked in the AP Top 25 for four straight weeks to end the season, culminating with a No. 13 ranking on March 18.
• DID YOU KNOW? Saint Louis appeared at No. 1 in the very first AP poll in 1949. In fact, SLU was No. 1 in consecutive weeks until Kentucky took over, ranking first the rest of the season.
BILLIKENS REACH 20
• SLU has reached 20 wins in three consecutive seasons for the first time in school history. The Billikens finished 26-8 in 2011-12 and 28-7 last year.
• The Billikens' 24-2 record so far this season is the best in school history through 25 games.
GOOD START IN CONFERENCE, TOO
• Saint Louis is 11-0 in A-10 play for the first time since joining the league in 2005-06. SLU's previous best start in A-10 play was a 2-0 record in 2009-10.
• This start in conference play ties the 1946-47 MVC champions who started a school-record 11-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
• Saint Louis is 10-0 on the road this season. The Billikens are one of three teams in the country to have an undefeated road record.
• The Billikens have won 18 of their last 19 road games dating to last season.
• Undefeated road records in the NCAA:
Team-Road Record-Next Road Game
Wichita State-11-0-Tuesday, Feb. 25 at Bradley
Saint Louis-10-0-Saturday, March 1 at VCU
Syracuse-6-0-Saturday, Feb. 22 at Duke
SCOUTING GEORGE WASHINGTON
• George Washington University, one of the surprise teams in the Atlantic 10 Conference this year, enters Saturday's tilt 20-6 overall and 8-4 in the league.
• The Colonials snapped a two-game losing skid in their last outing, defeating Richmond 73-65. Five GW players scored in double figures, led by Maurice Creek's 16 points.
• For the year, five Colonials score in double figures. Maurice Creek leads the team with 14.1 ppg, while Isaiah Armwood scores 12.3 ppg and brings down a team-best 8.4 rpg. Patricio Garino leads the squad with 14.9 ppg in league contests. Kevin Larsen scores 11.7 ppg.
• GW is fourth in the league in scoring offense and scoring defense. The Colonials score 74.5 ppg and rank among the top four in the league in field goal percentage (.470) and 3-point field goal percentage (.360). GW allows 66.4 ppg.
• George Washington has reached 20 wins for the first time since the 2006-07 season and the 12th time in its 100-season history.
• GW boasts an international flavor, as the Colonials have student-athletes from Argentina, Serbia, Denmark, Greece and Puerto Rico.
• Head coach Mike Lonergan is in his third year at GW with a 43-44 record. In 21 years overall, he is 420-200. Previously, Lonergan guided Vermont to three conference crowns and coached Catholic to an NCAA Division III national championship.