War Machine, aka Jonathan Koppenhaver, appeared today in a Las Vegas courtroom and heard an expanded list of charges stemming from his alleged assault of ex-girlfriend and adult-film star Christy Mack.
Prosecutors added 25 felony counts to the seven already contained in a criminal complaint against Koppenhaver, most notably two felony counts of attempted murder for Koppenhaver's alleged beating of Mack and her male friend this past month at her Las Vegas home.
The fighter faces a total of 32 felony counts, among them battery by strangulation, sexual assault, kidnapping, coercion and burglary. He now faces the possibility of life in prison.
Koppenhaver is being held without bail in Las Vegas and will next appear in court on Oct. 17 for a preliminary hearing, which will decide whether the case is heard in district court, Las Vegas district attorney spokesperson Tess Driver today told MMAjunkie.
Koppenhaver's lawyer told TMZ Sports the charges against Koppenhaver, 32, are the result of "overzealous prosecution." Another told NBCNews.com he wants his client to be judged as a human being and not an MMA fighter.
Las Vegas district attorney Steve Wolfson said Mack is at home healing from her injuries and will testify against Koppenhaver.
Koppenhaver was extradited to Las Vegas earlier this week from Ventura County (Calif.) Jail, where he was taken after his arrest this past month at a hotel in Simi Valley, Calif. He was tracked down with the help of the U.S. Marshals Office and reportedly was Tasered by police after a hotel guest spotted him getting physical with another woman.
After news of the alleged assault surfaced, Koppenhaver wrote on Twitter that he planned to surprise Mack with an engagement ring and wound up fighting for his life. Mack released a statement that named the fighter as her assailant and included graphic images of the damage she suffered. She reportedly fled the house while Koppenhaver was searching for a knife and dialed 911 from a neighbor's house.
Koppenhaver (14-5) was immediately released from his contract with Bellator. The fighter, who had a brief two-fight stint with the UFC earlier in his career, most recently fought for Bellator this past October, suffering a first-round submission loss to Ron Keslar.