San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith's alleged bomb threat at Los Angeles International Airport won't result in a felony charge.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced Thursday it has turned over Smith's case to the city attorney's office for possible misdemeanor consideration.
Smith, 24, was arrested and booked April 13 on a charge of false report of a bomb threat at LAX. Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office, confirmed in an email to USA TODAY Sports his office received the case Wednesday.
"The matter is currently under review by our office, but no filing decision has yet been made," Mateljan said.
A statement released by Sgt. Karla Ortiz of the Los Angeles Police Department soon after the arrest said says Smith was selected for secondary screening at the airport. Smith then became "belligerent and uncooperative with the process and with the TSA agent, making a comment indicating that he was in possession of a bomb before proceeding towards the gate area," the statement said.
Once LAPD officers arrived on the scene, Smith continued to be "uncooperative" and was detained.
Smith already has had off-the-field issues after he was arrested on suspicion of DUI and marijuana possession in September 2013. He was also charged with three felony weapons counts from a June 2012 party held at his house.
He has since pled not guilty to the gun charges and was also arrested on suspicion of drunken driving in January of 2012.
Following the September arrest last year, Smith took a leave of absence from the 49ers and sought treatment for substance abuse. He was away from the franchise for five weeks and returned to play Week 10, playing in the rest of the season.
He has 42 sacks in 43 career regular-season games.
Contributing: Lorenzo Reyes