KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia – Heavy fog that blanketed the Rosa Khutor extreme park on Monday forced Olympic officials to move the men's snowboarder cross competition to Tuesday.
Visibility was so poor throughout the morning and early afternoon that it was difficult for riders to see much of the course that includes multiple jumps, rollers (a succession of small hills) and big sloping turns – and heats of six racers flying down to the bottom of the mountain.
"I'm not at all frustrated. We're snowboarders. It's an outdoor sport, and this happens all the time," American Nate Holland said. "I'm just more thankful that they were able to postpone it a day. This fog, it's super dense up there and it's the Olympics and we want to have the best rider win and not have anything screwy."
Photos: Sochi Fog
The contest was initially postponed on Monday, first by just 25 minutes. The format was then changed, with officials choosing to scrap the time trials, in which each of the 39 riders would go through one run to determine their seeding for the finals.
At just after 2 p.m. local, it announced the day's competition had been canceled, and rescheduled for Tuesday morning. There will be no time trials, and riders will be seeded based on their FIS rankings.
"It's a relatively dangerous sport as is, and then with not being able to see the features and then the other athletes, that would ask some extra risk that we definitely don't need. That puts the athletes in harm's way, which is not what we're looking for," said Faye Gulini, who finished fourth in the women's competition on Sunday.