KSDK - Gov. Pat Quinn and the Missouri Department of Transportation distributed the following tips to NewsChannel 5 Friday in preparation for the onslaught of snow and winter weather expected to hit the bi-state area this weekend:
You can read those tips below:
If you have to travel, be sure to have an emergency preparedness kit, which should include:
· a shovel, windshield scraper and small broom
· a flashlight, battery powered radio, and extra batteries
· water and snack food
· blankets, extra hats, socks and mittens
· first aid kit with pocket knife and any necessary medications
· tow chain or rope
· road salt and sand
· booster cables
· emergency flares
· fluorescent distress flag
Monitor road conditions
To monitor Missouri road conditions, go to www.modot.orgor call 1-888-ASKMODOT.
For Illinois road conditions, go to www.gettingaroundillinois.comor call I-800-452-IDOT.
Practice safe winter driving
- Don't crowd snowplows – an operator's field of vision is restricted.
- Allow extra time for travel during the winter months.
- Watch out for black ice on roads that appear clear but can be treacherous. Slow down when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges and shady areas - all are prone to black ice, which is often invisible.
- Pull over and dial *999 for emergency roadway assistance
Tips for senior citizens