With record-low temps hitting parts of the USA, it's so freaking cold that ...
1) In Minnesota, some ski and sledding hills and ice rinks have been declared closed until Tuesday. Even the cold-weather recreation enthusiasts said it was just too cold!
2) A "polar vortex" or blast of extreme cold has arrived. The vortex is a cyclonic air mass usually hanging out over Canada. It's unusually far south over the Great Lakes, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
3) School is closed Monday for the entire state of Minnesota, as well as cities and districts in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Iowa, among others. No learning today, kids. It's too cold.
4) Trash and recycling aren't getting picked up on Monday in Minneapolis. That's stinking cold.
5) Newspapers, including the Marshfield News-Herald, Stevens Point Journal,Wausau Daily Herald and the Daily Tribune of Wisconsin Rapids, might not bedelivered on time in Wisconsin on Monday.
6) Green Bay Packers fans were grilling beers Sunday while tailgating to unfreezethem. Resourceful, but that's cold. And those beers must have been ice cold.
7) Officials in Missouri said it was too cold for rock salt to be very effective on the roads, making them particularly dangerous, according to the Associated Press.