ST. LOUIS —
Hearty Black Bean Burgers
2 cups of black beans (not canned)
2 cups of water
4 cups of chicken broth (or vegetarian)
1 red pepper (diced)
1 red onion (diced)
1 can of diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can of corn
4 tbsp garlic powder
5 tbsp ranch seasoning
1 tsp ranch ancho chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup fried onions
2 cups bread crumbs (plus an extra cup if needed)
2-3 tbsp olive oil (any oil or butter will work)
1. Soak black beans and water in an airtight container overnight.
2. Add beans, broth, red pepper, red onion, 3 tbsp garlic, 3 tbsp ranch, can of tomatoes and can of corn to crock pot. Simmer on low 8-10 hours
3. Use a slotted spoon and measure 3 cups of black bean mixture in a blender with fried onions remaining tbsp of garlic, ranch seasoning, paprika, and ancho chili powder. Blend for 30-45 seconds. It should be a little chunky still.
4. Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in bread crumbs. Add 1/2 cup at a time. Mix thoroughly until it will form a ball or patty without falling apart. If mixture had too liquid continue adding bread crumbs until a patty forms.
5. Sautee burger in a pan with oil or butter until nice and crispy on both sides. 3-5 minutes each side over medium heat
The mixture will make 10-20 small- medium burgers. It makes 10 burgers and 6 muffin boats. The rest of the black beans that were not blended can stay in the fridge for a few days for side dishes, soup, or more burgers later in the week.