ST. LOUIS —
Tropical smoothie popsicles with granola:
Makes 8 Popsicles
1 C. Plain Greek yogurt
2 tab. Honey
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 mango, peeled & cut into chunks.
1/2 Cup pineapple chunks (if using canned, drain the fruit)
1 banana, sliced
1/2 Cup granola- see tropical granola recipe below, if desired. Or use granola of choice.
1. In a bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, honey, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. Set aside for a moment.
2. In a blender, combine the mango, banana, and pineapple. Blend on medium speed until it Becomes a purée.
3. To assemble the Popsicles, put 2 teaspoons of fruit purée on bottom of popsicle mold. Then layer with 2 teaspoons of Greek yogurt mixture. Then repeat, leaving 1/2 inch of room below “fill line” of each mold for granola.
4. The use either the Popsicle stick or a skewer to swirl the mixture gently.
5. Top each with granola. Then place in freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Tropical Granola Recipe
1.5 C. Old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/3 C. Shredded coconut
1 tab brown sugar
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons honey
Zest from half of a lemon
1/2 tsp. Fine sea salt
1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 C. Chopped dry roasted macadamia nuts
1 C of diced mixed Tropical fruit mix- do 1/3 each of: banana chips, dried mango, and dried pineapple.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil. Whisk in honey. Once heated, remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
Then, in a large bowl, combine: oats, brown sugar, coconut, salt, and ground flaxseed. Stir to combine.
Then pour over honey mixture. Stir to coat. Spread the granola mixture onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven when it is toasted and light Golden in color.
While warm, stir in the nuts and dried fruit. Allow to cool before using.
To get popsicles out of molds, run the mold under hot water for 20 seconds. Then pull it free.