ST. LOUIS — The Saint Louis Zoo introduced the newest resident of its Emerson Children’s Zoo – Diwai, a Matschie's tree kangaroo.
The zoo introduced him to the world on social media on Wednesday.
The zoo said Diwai came to the zoo on a Species Survival Plan recommendation. He is sweet and calm, loves to train with his keepers, loves to go outside and loves all enrichment.
“He is a great addition to the Children’s Zoo.”
About Matschie's tree kangaroos
Matschie's tree kangaroos live in thick, mountainous forests where they have become well adaopted to life in trees, according to the zoo’s website. They are able to climb tree trunks like a cat, thanks to their long sharp claws. They’ve retained the kangaroo’s ability to jump and have perfected the “art of jumping in the treetops.” They can leap to the ground from up to 30 feet high in a tree.
More Feature Stories
- Attractions, pools, camps, gyms | Here's what is opening and when in St. Louis, St. Louis County
- Your pup can swim under a waterfall at Petropolis’ new facility
- Purina to stream 'Incredible Dog Team' performance to celebrate summer
- Watch: Bears welcome back visitors at Saint Louis Zoo
- How Luis Padilla's small town upbringing led to a career at the Saint Louis Zoo