ST. LOUIS — CRISPY DELICATA SQUASH RINGS
1 delicata squash
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cups bread crumbs (optional)
Sprinkle of dried oregano
Sprinkle of dried basil
Marinara sauce or other sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven airfryer to 390-400F. I’d using the oven, preheat it to 400F.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the squash into 1/4 inch rings.
- Get 2 bowls: In one bowl, whisk the egg, 2 tablespoons of water, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a second bowl, place the grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs sprinkled with dried basil and oregano.
- Use one hand to pick up the squash, dredge it on the egg mixture and then in the Parmesan bowl mixture moving it around until fully coated.
- Spray with olive oil on both sides. If using the air fryer place a single layer in air fryer basket. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- If using oven, line rings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and if using the oven, bake for 20 minutes, turning it halfway. Broil on high for an additional 2 minutes to get them nice and crispy. It will be ready when crunchy and golden brown.
Serve with desired sauces I like a tangy aioli or marinara sauce.
I like a tangy aioli: Mix mayo with a bit of garlic powder, paprika and red paper flakes for an added bite!