WATERLOO, Ill. — The Denny’s in Waterloo is donating 100% of proceeds from all purchases made on Sept. 11 to the family of Illinois State Police trooper Nicholas Hopkins.
Trooper Hopkins was shot and killed in the line of duty while serving a warrant in East St. Louis on August 23.
He is survived by his wife, 4-year-old twins and baby girl.
Customers are encouraged to make additional donations to the family if they’re able to. Donations can be made by cash, credit card or check.
The Denny’s is located at 959 Illinois Route 3 in Waterloo.
'He gave his life for his community'
The funeral of trooper Hopkins was held last Sunday at the high school in Waterloo where Whitney Hopkins met her husband.
Whitney told mourners they should take time for the little things in life. She said she remembers all the times her husband showed up and followed through even when it was hard for him.
MORE STORIES ON NICK HOPKINS
- Funeral procession for Trooper Nick Hopkins has ended
- 'He gave his life for his community' | Thousands pay their respects at Trooper Hopkins' visitation
- Waterloo remembers their beloved hometown hero, slain trooper Nick Hopkins
- Waterloo shows signs of support ahead of Trooper Nick Hopkins' funeral
- High school friends selling T-shirts to honor Trooper Hopkins, all proceeds go directly to wife, kids
- Family of fallen ISP trooper Nick Hopkins releases statement
- Man charged in ISP Trooper Nick Hopkins' death
- Illinois State Police trooper Nick Hopkins dies after being shot in East St. Louis; 3 in custody