ST. LOUIS — It might still be fall, but it sure feels like winter outside. Temperatures were in the teens in some places Wednesday morning.
November 14 marks Missouri Winter Weather Preparedness Day. 5 On Your Side gathered some tips to help you get ready for snow, ice and potentially dangerous cold temperatures this season.
- Use weather seal tape around the edges of windows and door frames, basically anywhere frigid air can get through.
- Covering your windows with insulated wrapping will also help make your home less drafty.
- Pipes also lead outside and can freeze, causing major headaches. To prevent that keep them flowing or covered.
- Shut off outdoor lines like your hose.
- Turn your fan to spin clockwise to push the warm air back down into your home.
- You might be cranking the heat with these cold temperatures, to save money just program it or set it to be warmer only when your home and need it.
- You can also save money by setting your hot water heater only as high as you need it.
FORECAST: Get the latest 5 On Your Side forecast