MUNICH, Germany - Police declared an "acute terrorist situation" Friday in Munich and shut down traffic and rail service in the southern German city to search for as many as three gunmen who went on a shooting rampage at a shopping mall, killing at least eight people.

Police said a ninth body was found at the scene of the attack and authorities were investigating whether it belonged to an attacker.

"The suspects are still on the run," Munich police said in an earlier statement. "Please avoid public places.”

Major roads in the Bavarian city were largely empty as special police teams swarmed the area and helicopters carrying snipers swept over rooftops looking for as many as three perpetrators carrying long guns. Munich police declared an "akute terrorlage" or "acute terrorist situation," triggering the shutdown of major roads, Süddeutsche Zeitung reported.

"We are categorizing this as a terror attack only in our response of freeing up the largest possible force to handle the situation," Police spokesman Marcus da Gloria Martins told reporters. He said several were wounded, but he did not have an exact count.

In response to questions from reporters during a news conference, police said they had no information to link the attack to a radical Islamist group.

Horst Seehofer, prime minister of the state of Bavaria, and Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann scheduled a crisis meeting at the State Chancellery in Munich.

The newspaper Abendzeitung reports, however, said one person was killed and 10 injured.

Live video from the scene on Twitter showed more than a dozen police vehicles and ambulances descending on a building in a district of the Bavarian city.The livestream video shows a street cut off and the arrival of SWAT team units.

Police in Bavaria have been on alert following the stabbing of five people on Monday by a 17-year-old Afghan wielding an ax and a knife. The incident occurred on a regional train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg on Monday. The attacker was shot and killed by police.