UPDATE: More than 4,000 toys were donated to the 5 On Your Side toy drive in partnership with Laurie's Shoes. Thank you everybody!
Thank you to Grindell Delivery Company for delivering the toys to Shriners Hospitals.
ORIGINAL STORY: Hundreds of toys intended to be passed out to children through the Shriners Hospitals for Children - St. Louis at the Moolah Shriners Holiday Patient Party were destroyed Wednesday in a massive warehouse fire.
Through Sunday, 5 On Your Side is teaming up with Laurie's Shoes to host a toy drive to replace what was lost.
For the entirety of business hours Friday through Sunday, all four Laurie's Shoes locations will be accepting new, unwrapped toys to be donated to Shriners Hospitals.
Laurie's Shoes locations:
9916 Manchester Road
St. Louis, MO 63122
9 a.m. until 7 p.m.
1451 Galleria Parkway
Richmond Heights, MO 63117
10 a.m. until 9 p.m.
281 Chesterfield Mall
Chesterfield, MO 63017
10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Birkenstock and More
Westgate Shopping Center
12350 Olive Boulevard
Creve Coeur, MO 63141
10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Gifts were intended for children of all ages, and the hospital says 50 percent of their patients are ages 11 through 18.
They're accepting the following gifts:
- Board games such as Apples to Apples, Rummikub, Catch Phrase, Dominoes, Double 12 Sets
- Playing cards such as UNO, Skip-Bo, Phase 10
- Hair and nail care sets, nail polish
- Jewelry – necklaces, bracelets
- Makeup sets, makeup bags
- Bath and body sets
- Gift sets of Axe, Adidas or Old Spice for men with shower gel/shampoo
- Professional sports apparel with team logos – caps, t-shirts, sweatshirts (adult sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL)
- Gift cards to Wal-Mart, Target, or popular fast food restaurants
- Holiday items prior to the holiday
- AAA and AA alkaline batteries
- Musical toys
- Light up toys
- Preschool toys
- Dolls and Barbies
- Popular character toys
- Stuffed animals – brand new, 12” or smaller
- Matchbox car sets
- LEGOS kits and Bionicles
- Coloring and activity books
- Art/activity kits
- Backpacks/sports bags
- Fleece tie blankets and small lap quilts in small quantities of one bag or less. (Patients LOVE fleece tie blankets – they are their #1 preference!)
They are unable to accept:
- Used toys
- Used stuffed animals
- Beanie Babies
- Large stuffed animals of any kind
- Dollar store toys
- Large blankets/quilts/afghans
- Pillows (handmade)
- Pillow cases
- VCR tapes
- Books/comic books
- Sports collector/trading cards of any type
- Collectible postage stamps
- Greeting cards (new or used)
- Campbells soup labels
- Large ride-on items
- Holiday items after holiday has passed
- School notebooks, paper, scissors, erasers
- Used medical equipment
- Clothing (new or used)
For more information about donating toys to Shriners Hospitals for Children - St. Louis, visit them online.