Breaking News
More () »

17 people shot in just 12-hours of violence in St. Louis

The shootings remain under investigation

ST. LOUIS — At least 17 people were shot in a 12-hour window between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said.

The first shooting happened Saturday just before 5 p.m. near the intersection of Union Boulevard and Thekla Avenue. The victim in that shooting is a 15-year-old boy who was dropped off at a St. Louis hospital with gunshot wounds. He’s listed in critical condition.

About two hours later, a 37-year-old man said he was driving along the 4200 block of St. Louis Avenue when he observed two vehicles traveling on St. Louis Avenue exchanging gunfire. The man was struck by a bullet that passed through his windshield. EMS responded and transported the man to a hospital. The investigation is ongoing.

At 9:04 p.m., another man in his 30s was fatally shot in the 5300 block of Cote Brilliante Avenue. Police said Robert Cannon, 36, was killed after being shot outside a home. A 19-year-old was found inside the home with a gunshot wound to his foot. He was transported to a hospital.

Less than 40 minutes later, another teenager was shot in the chest by a person playing with a gun in the 3900 block of Evans Avenue. Malik Valley, 15, was taken to an area hospital, where he died.

The next shooting happened on Sunday at 12:21 a.m. at the intersection of North Garrison Avenue and Montgomery Street. A man was shot multiple times inside a car. He was taken to an area hospital, where he also died.

Just after 1 a.m., four people showed up at a hospital with gunshot wounds that were non-life threatening. Police believe they were involved in the shooting Saturday night in the 5300 block of Cote Brilliante Avenue.

At 1:11 a.m., a 22-year-old woman was shot in the head at the intersection of Vandeventer and St. Louis avenues. EMS responded and transported the victim to the hospital where she was listed in critical condition. The investigation is ongoing.

The next shooting police responded to took place in the 3500 block of Semple Avenue at 1:44 a.m. A 34-year-old man, 21-year-old man and 18-year-old man were inside a car when they heard gunshots. After being struck the three were taken to the hospital by unknown means. The 34-year-old and 18-year-old's conditions have not been made available. The 21-year-old is in critical condition. 

About 45 minutes later, a man was shot in the head in the 3600 block of Hamilton Avenue. The victim stated he was involved in an argument with two unknown suspects as he was leaving the Budget Inn. During the argument, one of the suspects produced a handgun and fired gunshots at the victim, grazing the victim in the head. He was transported to a hospital.

Just before 3 a.m., another man showed up at a hospital with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound. He was shot in the area of North Garrison Avenue and Hebert Street.

The night’s second fatal shooting happened at 3:20 a.m. in the 900 block of South Broadway. Police said that they responded to a call for a "large crowd' at the BP gas station where they found two men with gunshot wounds.

Jaymes Jackson, 21, of the 6800 block of Russell was killed. The second man was taken to a hospital where he is in critical condition. 

At 3:52 p.m., a man was dropped off at a hospital with a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The victim said he was walking in the intersection of Romaine Place and Hodiamont Avenue when a man exited a white pickup truck and fired gunshots at him. He is listed in stable condition at a St. Louis hospital.

Mayor Lyda Krewson ’s statement on the shootings:

“I am outraged over the shootings and violence that have occurred over this Memorial Day weekend. Too many guns. Too much anger. Too many sad families. A sad, tragic beginning to summer. Please, no further retaliation. Put down the guns.” 

City ambassador Cedric Redmon also has concerns about the gun violence epidemic. 

"When it comes to the violence, we have to throw everything that we can to stop and solve some of these crimes," he said.

After a violent summer in 2019, Redmon protested for the killings to stop. And continues to do so today.

RELATED: 'Protest That,' 'Let's Talk' | 2 St. Louis events tackle gun violence head-on

Redmon proposed to have aerial surveillance to monitor shootings and solve murders. 

He believes it can help the Cure Violence program.

RELATED: 'COVID-19 not stopping crime' | St. Louis leaders say Cure Violence still on track despite pandemic

The Cure Violence program is the city's response to a deadly few years.

The program was slowed down by COVID-19, but Board of Aldermen President Lewis Reed said the program was in the process of hiring and training.

For Hazelwood West Senior, Skylar Robinson, she's taken matters into her own hands to curb shootings in the St. Louis area with marches, protests, and 'Stop the Violence' summits. 

RELATED: 'This gives me more purpose' | Teens threatened with gun during anti-gun violence march in St. Louis County

She says, "We need to invest more in our community more organizations to deescalate the roots on why this may happen." 

She also suggests more mentorship programs, as well.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Homicide Division directly at 314-444-5371, or anyone with a tip who wants to remain anonymous and is interested in a reward can contact CrimeStoppers at 866-371-8477.


Wildwood woman graduates from US Naval Academy, receives first salute from sister

Faith leaders not ready to welcome worshipers back


Before You Leave, Check This Out