ST. LOUIS — A man who was shot near a popular area of St. Louis early Friday morning has died.
Police identified the man as Mark Schlemmer, of Collinsville, Illinois. He was 38 years old.
At 2:15 a.m. on Nov. 1, officers responded to the 700 block of N. 15th Street near Washington Avenue and the City Museum.
A witness told 5 On Your Side a white car pulled up next to another car, which Schlemmer was sitting in, and fired two shots inside. The shooter reversed their car down 15th Street and crashed into two parked cars.
Two men jumped out of the car, grabbed something out of the backseat and ran down Washington Avenue, according to the witness.
Two other people were inside the car that Schlemmer was sitting in. They were not injured, police said.
The St. Louis police department’s homicide division has taken over the investigation.
In the latest update from police, the suspect description is listed as 'unknown.'
Anyone with information is urged to call the Homicide Division directly at 314-444-5371, or anyone with a tip who wants to remain anonymous and is interested in a reward can contact CrimeStoppers at 866-371-TIPS (8477).
Loved ones of Schlemmer's family have started a GoFundMe to help cover funeral expenses. Nearly $12,000 has been raised so far. Those interested in contributing to the fund can click here.
Latest local headlines:
- 2 Illinois State Police troopers hit by suspected drunk driver in Chicago
- 'The right person to lead us': St. Louis County Executive Sam Page stands by police chief
- Woman killed in early morning 2-car crash in St. Louis
- 'A lot of people depend on me' | Family rallies to help grandmother after the van she uses to help others is stolen
- Missouri troopers find teen with meth strapped to abdomen