Breaking News
More () »

Suspect charged in deadly shooting on MetroLink train

MetroLink officials said the fatal shooting stemmed from an altercation between two passengers.

ST. LOUIS — A man has been charged in a fatal shooting that happened Sunday on a MetroLink train.

Quinton Howard, 23, was charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action. Police announced Wednesday that he was taken into custody for the weekend shooting.

Note: The above video is from the day of the fatal shooting.

Shortly after midnight Sunday, a man later identified as Manu Barge was found shot in the head on a MetroLink train at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere station. Barge was 31 years old.

MetroLink officials told 5 On Your Side the fatal shooting stemmed from an altercation between two passengers.

"This level of gun violence is shocking, and we are often frustrated on how to prevent such random acts in our community," Bi-State Development President and CEO Taulby Roach said in a statement Sunday.

A judge denied bond for Howard.

Credit: St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department

Roach added that the transit system has made several safety and security changes over the last several years.

"We will continue to invest in security and strong police partnerships now and in the future," Roach said.

The St. Louis police department is leading the investigation.

This is not the first incident of violence involving MetroLink. On Jan. 31, 2021, MetroLink security guard, 30-year-old James Cook, was shot and killed at the Delmar Loop MetroLink station on Hodiamont Avenue. Nathaniel Maurice Smith, 36, was charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in February 2021.

Earlier this month on April 8, a man was shot during a carjacking also at the Hodiamont MetroLink station.

Additionally, on April 12, after 10 people were injured after someone opened fire on a Brooklyn, New York subway station, some local MetroLink riders were worried about gun violence on the trains.

Later that day, representatives from MetroLink said St. Louis Metro Police were on high alert in response to the New York shooting, and that their teams are trained to handle shooting situations.

This story will be updated when the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office releases an update on the potential charges.

Before You Leave, Check This Out