ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. — The Hazelwood School District will allow more fans at the district's sporting events this year as long as they are vaccinated.
The school district said they will continue to allow two spectators per participant regardless of vaccination status, but any additional fans not on that list will need to provide proof of vaccination. Student spectators at the events are also required to show their vaccination card and their photo ID.
A statement from the district said they have put intentionally strict measures in place because many of the schools are located in areas were COVID-19 transmission rates are high and vaccination levels are low.
"Mitigations in place at the school level and at district activities are intentionally robust to account for the high levels of community transmission," the statement said. "Ultimately, our goal is to keep students in classrooms during the school day, which is where they are educated most effectively."
In addition to vaccine requirements, fans are required to wear a mask at indoor events and are encouraged to wear them at outdoor events. If a fan arrives without a mask, the district will provide one.
The statement said some of the rules could be relaxed in the future.
"While we have started the year with strong layers of mitigation, as transmission levels drop, the removal or lessening of some mitigation layers may occur," the statement said. "We need to all work together to help make that happen."
Below is the full list of rules provided by the district:
- HSD team spectators and visiting team spectators are allowed to attend outdoor and indoor HSD athletic and extracurricular events with proof of COVID-19 vaccination by showing their vaccination card.
- Each student who participates in the activity is still allowed to bring two parents/guardians to HSD events, regardless of those individuals’ vaccination status. Those names must be provided in advance, as is the current practice.
- All spectators who are NOT one of the participating students’ parents/guardians on the list, must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination in order to attend the event.
- All student spectators must show BOTH their COVID-19 vaccination card AND their photo ID.
- All spectators are asked to wear a face mask for outdoor events.
- All spectators are required to wear a face mask for indoor events.
- Spectators not on the pre-approved list for indoor activities must also show proof of vaccination in order to attend the event.
- If a spectator arrives without a face mask, the district will provide one.
- As a reminder, please do not attend an HSD event if you are sick or have any COVID-19 symptoms, whether or not you are vaccinated.