ST. LOUIS — The ma who died following a 'flash fire' at a home in south St. Louis has been identified as Rex Prather. He was 43 years old.
The incident happened just before 10 p.m. Saturday in the 3700 block of Kosciusko Street. Fire officials said they responded to the report of a gas or stove explosion. Prather was found inside the home with severe burns. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
On Sunday, a spokesperson for the fire department said a flash fire occurred when the man tried to light his natural gas fireplace. A flash fire is a sudden, intense fire that can take place when there is a high amount of highly flammable gas in the air.
"It scared me. It really scared me, upset me," recalled Sandy Bunch, who has lived next door to the home for nearly 23 years.
Bomb and Arson investigators are handling the investigation.