ST. LOUIS — An 8-year-old girl who was shot and killed near Soldan High School Friday night has been identified as Jurnee Thompson.
Following several football games at the school, numerous fights broke out as crowds of people were leaving, according to police.
Around 7:17 p.m., officers from numerous districts responded to an ‘officer in need of aid’ call in the area. Just after 8 p.m., while police were at the school dispersing the crowds, several gunshots were heard just north of the high school.
Jurnee, two 16-year-old boys and a 64-year-old woman were found suffering from gunshot wounds in the parking lot of Harold’s Chop Suey on Union Boulevard.
All four were taken to the hospital where Jurnee was pronounced dead. Both 16-year-old boys remain in the hospital with serious injuries. The woman also remains in the hospital.
St. Louis Public Schools confirmed on Saturday that Jurnee was a student at Herzog Elementary School.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information should call the homicide division at 314-444-5371, or CrimeStoppers at 866-371-TIPS (8477).
IN OTHER NEWS
- Shot fired at Parkway North High School football jamboree
- The story behind the viral 'bird or bunny' optical illusion
- Illinois State Police trooper Nick Hopkins dies after being shot in East St. Louis; 3 in custody
- Green Berets killed in combat in Afghanistan identified
- Family: Newlyweds killed in accident minutes after getting married