BELLEVILLE, Ill — Firefighters rescued a 4-year-old after an apartment fire in Belleville Saturday morning.
The fire happened in the 200 block of Freedom Drive around 6 a.m.
A woman and two of her children got out of the apartment safely on their own, but a third child, the 4-year-old, had to be rescued by firefighters.
The Belleville Fire Department said candles were left burning in a bathroom near combustibles and the smoke detector had no battery.
Originally, firefighters were told everyone got out safely due to some confusion amongst the family.
The fire department released helmet camera footage of the girl's rescue. She could be heard crying before firefighters pulled her out of the apartment.
Belleville Asst. Fire Chief J.P. Penet said the girl was found on a couch in the living room and was taken to a local hospital for observation.
The department used this situation to urge people to check their smoke detectors and have a meeting place designated for times like this.
“Please check your smoke detectors and change your batteries next week with the time change, use battery operated candles and pick a meeting place outside your home so you can verify everyone is out,” the department said in a Facebook post.
"So this is a prime reason to do, you know, a PSA, a public safety announcement on candles," Chief Penet said.
October is Fire Prevention Safety Month. Fire officials say with daylight savings right around the corner this is the time to test those smoke detectors and change the batteries.
- Kirkwood shop Sammysoap proudly employs adults with disabilities
- Escaped wallaby leads investigators to controversial Franklin County 'pet ranch'
- Stephen Piscotty to sell his St. Louis area home soon
- Here’s why kids in St. Louis tell jokes on Halloween
- Six Flags to host first and largest screening of ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’