ST. LOUIS — The 25 largest companies in St. Louis’ Metro East region in Illinois earned a combined $17.5 billion in revenue last year.
The two biggest, Dot Foods Inc. ($8.1 billion) and Prairie Farms Dairy Inc. ($3.1 billion), are among the entire region’s 10 largest privately held companies.
The 25 largest Metro East companies employ a combined total of 24,394 people, 8,486 of whom are local.
The firms are spread across a wide geographical area, with 13 in Madison County, seven in St. Clair County, two in Clinton County, and one each in Brown, Greene and Randolph counties.
Industry-wise, the companies are concentrated in the areas of contracting (eight firms), food services (six firms), transportation (four firms) and manufacturing (two firms), with five other firms in other industry categories.
Click here for a look at the largest employers in the Metro East.
More from the Business Journal
- This regional tourist destination is targeting road-trip visitors from St. Louis
- As gyms reopen, St. Louis-based fitness management software firm retools its tech for the 'new norm'
- How Luis Padilla's small town upbringing led to a career at the Saint Louis Zoo
- City of St. Louis closes its temporary COVID-19 morgue, while county's continues to operate
- A new shopping center? In this economy? $30M Metro East project kicks off 70% pre-leased
- What St. Louis businesses need to know about riot and protest insurance