ST. LOUIS — When we flip back the clocks an hour this weekend, you should test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors too.
“Candles, space heaters, extension cords,” St. Louis firefighter Michael Orbin said those are a few of the main culprits for house fires this time of year.
But he gets it, families will do whatever is needed to stay warm. He just wants people to be careful.
“It only takes a moment for you not to be watching,” Orbin said. “If you are going to have it on, you need to be awake and in that room at all times.”
A properly working detector could be the thing that saves you in an emergency. Even after being in a fire that got up to 600 degrees during a controlled burn, the smoke detectors were still working.
Sometimes house fire can get as hot as 1,000 degrees.
If you get caught in a fire, get low and go to a safe meeting point away from the burning building.
If you need help with a smoke or carbon monoxide detector, call the St. Louis Fire Department. They will come to your house and help for free.
MORE LOCAL NEWS
- Woman says forgotten classmate has stalked her for 9 years since high school reunion
- 2 injured in fire at 3-story house in north St. Louis
- Homeowner has real-life fright at the haunted house he built
- Man wearing 'It's not a crime unless you get caught' shirt gets caught on security cam committing crime
- Candy corn history and its ties to the St. Louis area
- Spooky St. Louis: Exploring the haunted history of our town