x
Breaking News
More () »

86-year-old woman dies in Oakville house fire

Police said the fire was likely caused by a cigarette

OAKVILLE, Mo. — An elderly woman died in a house fire in south St. Louis County on Friday.

Fire crews were called to the 5300 block of Autumnwinds Drive in Oakville around 3 p.m. The Mehlville Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire.

The woman was found inside the house and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to St. Louis County police. She was identified as 86-year-old Joyce Hagiparis.

On Saturday morning, police said the preliminary investigation indicates the fire started in a bedroom and the fire was likely caused by a cigarette.

The St. Louis County Police Department said the investigation is ongoing.

MORE LOCAL NEWS

RELATED: Man dies after fight outside Bridgeton bar, suspect in custody

RELATED: No injuries reported after building collapses in north St. Louis

Paid Advertisement