O'Fallon, Mo. - Earlier this summer, Justin Hendrix, 23, died from a heroin overdose. His father, Adam Hendrix, found him.

“I don't want anyone to go through what we had to go through on June 2nd,” Hendrix said. “I administered CPR until first responders got there and it took 30 minutes and three doses of Narcan to bring him back.”

But, after Justin was taken to the hospital, the family found out he was brain dead. Hendrix wondered what would have happened if he had Narcan on hand.

“We'll never know if that was available to us, if we could have saved our son or not,” Hendrix said.

Hendrix and his wife Melinda have made it their mission to get Narcan to people they believe need it most: loved ones of those struggling with opiate addiction. The Hendrixes spent thousands of dollars of their own money to buy the nasal spray, working with the Missouri’s Health and Senior Services Department to get it at cost.

Hendrix asked the NCADA to provide training to his employee’s at Chic Lumber in O’Fallon, where he serves as company president. Dozens of employees and other community members attended. They learned how to administer the Narcan nasal spray and how to identify the signs of an overdose.

“A lot of people stopped to ask if we were going to do more training for their family members, siblings, children,” Hendrix said. “They knew a friend this would help.”

Hendrix is seeking private donations from his vendors and plans to buy more Narcan and organize more training to anyone who is interested. It is all for Justin.

“I think he'd be very proud of us,” Hendrix said. “Everything we do now is in his honor.”

Chic Lumber will work with the NCADA and organize more training sessions. Once they figure out a schedule, the company will post it on its Facebook page.

For additional information, click here.