SALINE COUNTY, Mo. — An iconic Stuckey's restaurant just west of Columbia, Missouri, was destroyed in a fire overnight.
Firefighters say it started on a stove in a Dairy Queen kitchen in the same building. The fire spread before crews could put it out.
"It made me cry, like, I started at this company five and a half years ago," Dairy Queen district manager Jessica White told KOMU. "This is the building I started at."
Blackwater Area Fire Protection District Assistant Chief Tanner Fahrendorf said the first call came in around 7:20 p.m. He said the fire started on a stove in the Dairy Queen kitchen. Fahrendorf said everyone inside the building when the fire started made it out safely.
One firefighter had to be treated on the scene for heat exhaustion and the fire shut down part of I-70 while crews tried to put it out.