ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. — A 28-year-old man has been charged after a child fatally shot himself in a north St. Louis County apartment Thursday afternoon.
On Friday, Rodney March II was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and is being held on a $100,000 cash-only bond.
According to the probable cause statement, March left a loaded .40 caliber Glock within reach of his son, 3-year-old Rodney March III, at an apartment in the 9500 block of Jacobi Avenue.
The boy was able to get ahold of the gun and shoot himself in the head.
Police were called to the area for a shooting around noon. A short time later, two officers were flagged down by the boy’s mother in the 9800 block of Halls Ferry Avenue.
The officers found Rodney in the backseat of her car suffering from a gunshot wound. They moved him into a police car and began driving him to a hospital.
While on the way to the hospital, another officer attempted to give him life-saving treatment.
He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
- 13-year-old boy shot and killed in north county identified, 18-year-old man in custody
- 12 former Missouri clergy could face prosecution after sex abuse investigation
- Local charity uses coffee to spread joy to those who need it most
- Opening set for St. Louis Wheel, Soda Fountain restaurant at Union Station
- VERIFY: Did Missouri's permitless carry law result in higher crime for St. Louis?
- Here's when fall colors are expected to peak in Missouri and Illinois
- Franklin County man accused of raping daughter's friend during sleepover
- Dog stabbed to death by neighbor in front of owner
- Man accused of raping girls he met on Snapchat turns himself in to police