Breaking News
More () »

St. Louis Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | KSDK.com

Man pleads guilty to carjacking that killed Gus Gus Fun Bus owner Mike Arnold

Charging documents allege he intentionally struck Arnold -- who was trying to record the carjacking on his phone -- while speeding away from the scene
Credit: SLMPS

One of two people charged in a carjacking that led to the death of "Gus Gus Fun Bus" owner Mike Arnold has pled guilty.

Curtis Alford, 21, entered a guilty plea on Thursday.

Arnold was known as a prominent voice in St. Louis' restaurant and beer scene. His business, the Gus Gus Fun Bus was a 14-passenger 'fun bus' available for tours and events around the region.

ST. LOUIS - Mike Arnold, the owner of Gus Gus Fun Bus, passed away from his injuries, his family said. Friday morning, Arnold's family posted an update to their GoFundMe page announcing his death. Their full statements are below. In part, the family said, "Our family is very heavy hearted today.

According to charging documents, Alford and then-18-year-old Jana Stowers approached two people who had just parked a truck on the 700 block of Chestnut for ‘Taste of Downtown STL’ in June of 2018. Police said Alford pepper-sprayed the victims, took their keys and drove off in the truck.

RELATED: Federal charges filed against 2 people in connection to death of Mike Arnold

Charging documents allege he intentionally struck Arnold -- who was trying to record the crime on his phone -- and one other person while speeding away from the scene.

Alford stopped for a moment to pick up Stowers and drove northbound on Seventh Street, charging documents said, and Alford swerved at the officers, forcing them to jump out of the way.

The car crashed a short time later and Alford and Stowers were arrested.

Arnold was hospitalized but later died.

Alford's sentencing is set for March 17.


RELATED: Councilman fights to keep red-light cameras out of St. Louis County

RELATED: 'No one has the right to play God' | Prosecutors say mother killed disabled daughter before attempting suicide

RELATED: 7,000 backlogged rape kits untested in Missouri: what's next?

RELATED: 2-year-old girl dies after shooting in north St. Louis County

RELATED: Berkeley mayor charged with felony voter fraud