ST. LOUIS — Hold onto your hats Missouri, because we're going for a ride.
According to a study conducted by personal finance website WalletHub, the Show Me State has something else to latch onto — being fun. Yes, you read that correctly; Missouri ranks as one of the country's most exciting places. Narrowly beating our neighbors to the north Michigan and Wisconsin, Missouri was listed as the 14th most fun state. Illinois ranked as the fifth most fun state.
WalletHub compared each of the 50 states across 26 different metrics to rank the fun factor, which included things like movie ticket cost and casinos per capita. The state of Missouri ranked as most fun in the following categories:
- 19th – Restaurants per Capita
- 14th – Movie Theaters per Capita
- 18th – Golf Courses & Country Clubs per Capita
- 10th – Amusement Parks per Capita
- 9th – Performing-Arts Theaters per Capita
- 20th – Fitness Centers per Capita
- 27th – Access to National Parks
- 19th – Casinos per Capita
- 10th – Variety of Arts, Entertainment & Recreation Establishments
Not included in the metrics was the 'Nightlife' ranking, which put Missouri at no. 17 and Illinois at no. 3.
Additionally, St. Louis ranked at no. 14 in WalletHub's study for the most fun cities in 2017. As a city, St. Louis was put at no. 25 for entertainment value, no. 15 for nightlife and no. 9 for overall cost and expenses. Kansas City, Mo., was put at no. 36 and Springfield, Mo., was put at no. 76.