Breaking News
More () »

St. Louis Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | KSDK.com

St. Louis curfew to stay in place through weekend

"I'm hopeful we'll be able to lift this curfew in the not too distant future," Mayor Lyda Krewson said

ST. LOUIS — The city's curfew will remain in effect at least through the weekend, St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson said during her briefing Friday afternoon.

"I’m hopeful we’ll be able to lift this curfew in the not too distant future," she said. 

She said the goal is to lift the curfew on Monday.

"We'll base it on intelligence from local and federal law enforcement," she said. "We'll base it on when protest organizers are able to manage the protests in a way that doesn't turn violent."

Krewson also said the city is reviewing its policies and procedures as a result of the unrest.

"We have excellent leadership in our police department in Chief John Hayden and Public Safety Director Jimmie Edwards," she said. "We will take every stop possible to protect our officers, our people, our businesses, our institutions."

When asked about de-funding the police department, a battle-cry of some protesters, she said she will not consider it.

"De-funding the police department is not a way to get a better police department."

The city is currently under a curfew from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. every day. There are exceptions. People are allowed to go to and from work and to and from medical facilities. Credentialed journalists are also exempt from the curfew.

COVID-19 update

Krewson also gave an update on the city's response to the coronavirus.

"COVID is still among us. It is not gone," she said, adding that people need to continue to wear masks and practice social distancing.

Krewson noted the metrics are showing downward trends. 

"We have not had more than 35 people admitted to the hospital per day in more than a month." she said. "There were days we had 70 admitted."

As of June 4, there have been 2,034 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 132 people have died. Also, 85 people are being quarantined due to exposure, according to the city's website.

More local news