Breaking News
More () »

St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson says decision on curfew 'day-to-day'

The curfew runs from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. every day
Credit: UPI
St. Louis Metropolitan Mayor Lyda Krewson describes how four police officers were shot after protests that started peacefully Monday became violent overnight, during g a press conference in St. Louis on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. Rioters smashed windows, stealing items from businesses and set fires in the downtown area. Krewson has now directed that St. Louis be under a curfew from 9 P.M. until 5 A.M. Pictured with Krewson is Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson (L) and Director of Public Safety Judge Jimmie Edwards. Photo by Bill Greenblatt/UPI

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis will remain under a curfew until further notice, Mayor Lyda Krewson said during her briefing Wednesday afternoon.

"I can't tell you for sure how long it will be in effect," she said. "We're going to make that decision day-to-day."

Krewson said some businesses sustained damage Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning, though it did not compare to the violence that occurred the night before.

Four St. Louis police officers were shot and injured during the rioting. And a retired St. Louis police captain David Dorn was killed during the looting of a pawn shop, where he had been working as security. 

"And hopefully we'll bring someone to justice on that," she said.

RELATED: St. Louis police warn about GoFundMe pages created for retired captain killed during looting

The curfew runs from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day. There are exceptions for people going to and from work and going to and from medical facilities.

"Let me say a huge thank you to our police department, our fire department, our EMS department and our federal partners," she said, noting the Missouri National Guard is still in the city.

Krewson also gave an update on the city's response to COVID-19, saying there is a downward trend in the number of hospital admissions. The most recent data show there were 15 hospital admissions, down from the rolling seven-day average of about 19.

"We don't know what will happen to these numbers after we see the results of lots of people being together in very large groups during the demonstrations, the protests," she said. "Some folks were wearing masks. Some folks weren't. But certainly folks were not social distancing."

As of June 2, there have been 1,990 total confirmed cases of the virus and 131 people have died. Also, 85 people are being quarantined due to exposure, according to the city's website.

RELATED: A day after riot, St. Louis is calm during first night of curfew

Hey there, St. Louis and happy Wednesday. I am live at City Hall with another community update. As always, I'm happy to take your questions. Send them in and join the conversation! #LiveWithLyda

Posted by Mayor Lyda Krewson on Wednesday, June 3, 2020

More local news

Before You Leave, Check This Out