ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. — Schools across the St. Louis area are joining others across the country in turning on stadium lights to honor seniors.
The lights will be turned on at 8:20 every Friday night from April 17 to May 22. The lights will be left on for 20 minutes and 20 seconds.
Kirkwood, Belleville East, Belleville West and Collinsville high schools are participating.
“We may be isolated, but we can share a common light,” Kirkwood staff wrote on Twitter.
Fortunately, graduation for Kirkwood seniors has not been canceled. The school said it secured two potential dates for graduation in June or July, according to a letter the school sent to parents.
Several high schools and colleges across the country are lighting up their stadiums to honor 2020 seniors who can’t finish the school year in person due to the coronavirus pandemic.
It’s part of the #bethelight movement on Twitter.
- Missouri schools to get $208M to help with remote learning hurdles
- 'I was really upset' | Seniors react to missing prom, graduation thanks to COVID-19
- Teen collects coloring books, brain teasers to help seniors keep depression at bay
- CBC student creates protective shields for health care workers on COVID-19 front lines
- 'You think you have it rough?' | Kids quarantined with dad who is also their principal