x
Breaking News
More () »

St. Louis Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | KSDK.com

Second vaping-related death reported in Missouri

A woman in her 50s died this week after a "long-standing underlying chronic lung condition"

MISSOURI, USA — A second vaping-related death has been reported in Missouri.

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) said in a release on Thursday that a woman in her 50s died this week after a "long-standing underlying chronic lung condition." 

Missouri DHSS said that vaping was a contributing factor in her death.

“Sadly, we report the tragic impact e-cigarettes have had on another Missourian, and we send our condolences to her family,” DHSS Director Dr. Randall Williams said in the release. “As previously stated, we encourage Missourians to follow the CDC guidance to refrain from using e-cigarette products if you are concerned about these specific health risks, especially while the investigation is ongoing.”

The first vaping-related death in Missouri was reported in September after a man in his mid-40s died at Mercy Hospital St. Louis.

RELATED: Missouri man becomes 8th person in the US to die from vaping-related illness

Missouri DHSS said it concluded the man’s death was a vaping-related lung injury after lung samples were taken. The release said he had a history of vaping that started in May of 2019 and had normal lung function prior to starting vaping.

The press release from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services said the man developed mild respiratory symptoms that worsened, leading to hospitalization on Aug. 22 before being transferred to Mercy in St. Louis on Sept. 4.

The second vaping-related death in Illinois was reported in October.

DHSS is asking anyone who uses vaping products to seek medical care if they experience the following symptoms:

  • Cough, shortness of breath or chest pain
  • Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
  • Fatigue, fever, or weight loss
  • Elevated heart rate

RELATED: St. Louis doctor calls new CDC vaping findings 'a huge discovery'

RELATED: CDC confirms vitamin E acetate possibly linked to vaping illness outbreak

RELATED: Madison County's new anti-vaping initiative starts with middle schoolers