LANSING, Mich. — Their remarks are both brutal and triumphant.
On the first morning of Larry Nassar’s four-day sentencing hearing, 14 women and girls spoke, sharing their pain and anguish after being sexually abused. They included Kyle Stephens, the woman that Nassar pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting in his home when she was a child visiting with her parents.
"Perhaps you have figured it out by now," she said, addressing directly the man who also had been the USA Gymnastics team doctor for about two decades as he looked down, covering his eyes with his hand. "Little girls don't stay little forever. They grow into strong women that return to destroy your world."
All 125 women and girls who filed reports about Nassar with police are being given the chance to give victim-impact statements during Nassar’s sentencing if they choose. Court officials said 98 plan to do so, either in person or through submitted statements.
► Jan. 16: Don't make Simone Biles, other gymnasts return to Karolyi ranch
► Jan. 16: Chrissy Teigen offers to pay $100,000 fine for McKayla Maroney to speak
► Jan. 16: Woman who reported Nassar in 2014: 'It destroyed me, but I lived'
They are the “Me Toos” Nassar himself once predicted.
“You took advantage of my innocence and trust," Jessica Thomashow said. "What you did to me was so twisted. … How dare you?”
Days after The Indianapolis Star reported that two women said Nassar sexually assaulted them during medical appointments, Nassar emailed his boss, the dean of Michigan State University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine, to tell him about all the support he had received from the gymnastics community.
Then Nassar hinted that more might say he had abused them.
"I am trying to make sure I take advantage of this time before the ‘Me Toos’ come out in the media and the second media blitz occurs," he emailed his boss, William Strampel, on Sept. 15, 2016, the day prosecutors told the Lansing (Mich.) State Journal they had received a "handful” of new allegations.
Those “Me Toos” have burgeoned into an army who will fill four days on Judge Rosemarie Aquilina's docket, detailing their devastation after Nassar's abuse and telling Nassar what they think of him now. Many are appearing in person, walking to a podium in Ingham County Circuit Court where Aquilina expects to sentence Nassar on Friday.
Nassar, 54, of Holt, Mich., pleaded guilty in November to 10 sexual assault charges split between Ingham and Eaton counties. In December, he was sentenced to 60 years in prison on federal child pornography charges.
The women and girls can choose to speak anonymously in court, with media forbidden to report their names. But many have opted to be identified, including some minors whose parents had to confirm that decision for the judge.
Jade Capua said her first plan was to speak anonymously, but she later changed her mind.
► Jan. 16: Quotes from the sentencing: Larry Nassar's victims are silent no more
► Jan. 15: 5 things to know about Larry Nassar's sentencing
► Jan. 15: Simone Biles, four-time Olympic gold medalist, alleges Nassar abused her
"After thinking about it and taking time to cope with facing this fear of mine, I decided to finally put a name to it," she said. "I am Jade Capua, and I am a survivor."
The women and girls who spoke detailed the abuse they said they suffered at Nassar's hands, often looking right at him as they said what he did to them.
They spoke about the lasting trauma, self doubt and loss of trust. They shared how the abuse affected their school work, their relationships and their career goals.
They spoke about depression, or as Danielle Moore put it, being "stuck in the darkness."
"You are no longer a doctor," she told Nassar. "You have been stripped of your medical license. And soon, you'll be known by your prison number for what I hope to be the maximum sentence.
"I find this fitting, as I was a thing, inhuman or just a number to you," she said. "I will no longer be known as a number. And I will be known as Dr. Danielle Moore."
Follow Matt Mencarini on Twitter: @MattMencarini