ST. LOUIS — The Stantennial celebration planned at Busch Stadium will not go on as planned Saturday, but fans of 'The Man' will still have a chance to celebrate.
Saturday would have been Stan Musial's 100th birthday. Organizers planned a socially distant event inside Busch Stadium that would have led fans on a journey through Musial's career, but with a recent spike in COVID-19 cases, the event was scrapped.
In its place, organizers are planning a drive-by birthday party for the Cardinals legend. Members of the Musial family will be outside the stadium at the Musial statue, and fans are invited to drive by to share their well-wishes. Fans can also bring a card to be dropped off in a special box placed along the route.
The celebration will also include Fredbird and harmonica players, a nod to Musial's tradition of entertaining fans with his musical skills.
There will also be free birthday cupcakes distributed to fans while supplies last.
If you want to participate in the event, organizers ask fans to follow these instructions:
- Vehicles should approach the Musial Statue on Spruce Street from west of Busch Stadium.
- For everyone’s health and safety, participants must remain in their vehicle at all times.
- Face coverings must be worn when receiving the birthday cupcake.
If you can't make it to the drive-by party, there are other ways to celebrate, including:
- On Saturday night, 5 On Your Side (KSDK Channel 5 in St. Louis) will air a Best of the Musial Awards special at 9 p.m. The broadcast celebrates 15 years of the Musial Awards in St. Louis on the 100th anniversary of Stan’s birth.
- Fans can celebrate in the comfort of their own home by ordering a Stantennial Party Box. The box is filled with fun birthday treats, one-of-a-kind items, and a commemorative book that celebrates 15 years of the Musial Awards in St. Louis on the 100th anniversary of Stan’s birth. Proceeds benefit the Musial Awards. More information can be found at MusialAwards.com/PartyBox.
- The Musial Awards invites fans to share their favorite memories and stories of Stan on social media or on the Musial Awards website. “Musial Moments” can be posted on social media by using #StanMusialMoment and tagging the Musial Awards (@MusialAwards) or by visiting MusialAwards.com/Moments.