EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. — Construction work on the MLK Bridge will impact drivers in an even bigger way this weekend.
The Illinois Department of Transportation announced it’ll shut down all westbound lanes of Interstate 55/64 at the I-55/70/64 interchange in East St. Louis.
IDOT said the closure is needed so crews can set new bridge beams over I-55/64 as part of the MLK Bridge Approach project.
The lanes are scheduled to be closed from Nov. 1-3, weather permitting. The closure is set to start at 7 p.m. Friday. All lanes should be back open by 5 a.m. Monday.
Westbound drivers won’t be able to travel west of the I-55/70/64 interchange. Instead, drivers will be directed to the following detours:
- I-55 drivers will take I-255 south across the Jefferson Barracks Bridge to I-55
- I-64 drivers will take I-255 south to IL 3 north to westbound I-64
Drivers are encouraged to find other routes, including the I-70 Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
RELATED: Interactive traffic map
More local headlines:
- Tazé Mediterranean closes downtown, Central West End locations
- The most expensive homes in Richmond Heights
- STL to KC in 30 minutes? Officials want to bring Hyperloop test track to Missouri
- Oct. 28, 1965: Photos and video from the day the Arch was finished
- Prolonged Missouri River flooding could last all winter