ST. LOUIS — With an elbow bump and mask-covered smile, Doug Emhoff made his first trip to St. Louis as “Second Gentleman” Wednesday.
Emhoff, who’s the husband of Vice President Kamala Harris, was pictured with St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson. The mayor shared a photo on her Twitter page Wednesday morning with the caption, “Welcome to St. Louis, Second Gentleman! #HelpIsHere."
Emhoff is in St. Louis to talk about the American Rescue Plan, which is known by most Americans as the relief plan that recently led to a third round of stimulus checks.
He visited the Clayco construction firm and held a listening session about gender equity in the workplace. He was joined by Mayor Krewson and the director of the Women’s Bureau at the U.S. Department of Labor, Wendy Chun-Hoon.
On Tuesday, Emhoff tweeted from a visit in Blair, Nebraska, where he said he visited a group of frontline health care workers who’ve worked through the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The American Rescue Plan will help rural communities like theirs expand access to care,” the second gentleman tweeted.
Emhoff’s title of “second gentleman” is a mostly new term for many Americans. As the first-ever husband of a U.S. vice president, Emhoff is the first second gentleman in U.S. history.
- Who is Douglas Emhoff? Meet the nation's first 'second gentleman'
- The road show begins: VP Kamala Harris, Jill Biden promote aid plan
- 10 facts about Kamala Harris, America's history-making vice president
- DID YOU KNOW: Where does the vice president live in Washington, DC?
- Meet Vice President-elect Kamala Harris' 'big, blended family'